Tuesday, July 23, 2013

BTS 7/23/13

Hello again, Spiritman fans.  Here's our most current news. 

Information:  Page 13 is up.

Too much information:  I've got pancake batter between my toes at the moment.

Anyway, as I said,  page 13 is up on the site.  YAAAAAY!  Pages 12 and 13 have introduced the main villain of this comic for the time being.  And speaking for myself, I like how his eyes look hollow in several panels.  It's a unique experience for a comic book writer knowing what's coming and yet not knowing what's coming.  It's a cool way to be a fan.

Pages 14 and 15 are on the drawing board.  Hopefully we'll see them both soon. 

Issue 2 is in the books.  Sort of.  It's finished, but I've submitted it to a couple of people for their criticism and I may end up with some tweaking when they're done looking at it, but other than that it's finished. 

I wanted to mention briefly the pacing of this comic.  As you are probably aware, we're averaging about 1 page every week, give or take.  Because of that, unlike a normal comic you'd read through in about a half an hour, single pages leave longer lasting impressions.  It may feel like we're dealing with a particular plot element or character or whatever for far too long when in reality it's only been a few pages which take about 5 minutes to read through if you have all of them in front of you.  I've wondered if I should try to condense storylines as much as possible for this reason and I've decided against it.  I want to be true to the characters and situations and not abbreviate plots artificially. 

But one problem in particular could arise.  We are making a faith-based comic, which means we are, whether we are intending to or not, making certain statements about God, His people, faith, and so on.  For the sake of dramatic tension, negative elements will obviously arise.  At times, because of the pacing of this comic, it may accidentally appear that we are embracing those negative elements when we don't mean to be because they seem to be remaining without a resolution for months at a time.  Paul and I see where it's going and we know that the resolution may only be a few pages away, but you don't know that.  If you ever feel the need to ask us what's going on or if we're promoting a certain negative viewpoint as Godly, please shoot us an e-mail.  I'll be glad to discuss it with you. 

Without giving too much away, of course.  I don't want to ruin it for you.  :)

Have fun.

Scott
edgiscript3@yahoo.com